Monday, March 1, 2010

New Gorillaz

The first two Gorillaz albums were mostly-good, mostly- ramshackle, uneven affairs-- and, chances are, their third album, Plastic Beach, which is set to drop on the 9th here in the States, will follow in its predecessors' footsteps. I will say that what I have heard from the album I do actually like. I just saw that their new video for their song 'Stylo' has just been released on Youtube:

I've heard a lot of people talking smack about how boring this song is, but I actually like it a lot. It is obviously more about 'groove' than it is about 'hook' or melody. And it features Mos Def! And Bobby Womack! And Bruce Willis is in the video! And the characters are being drawn up in CG! Stop complaining!

Oh well... If you find yourself aligned with those that don't like 'Stylo,' then maybe you will like the recently released song 'Superfast Jellyfish' featuring De La Soul-- I like this one a lot too. It might be the closest thing I've heard to some sunny 90's sounding hip-hop in a long, long time. Gorillaz has always been a pretty dark project, so I think it's really cool to hear them bringing a brighter sound into play. The new album might just surprise me and be literally great!

No comments:

Post a Comment