Thursday, March 18, 2010

Record Club Covers INXS

I had mentioned Beck's Record Club a while back-- shortly after I started this blog. So far, he has covered three records: The Velvet Underground's The Velvet Underground and Nico, Leonard Cohen's The Songs of Leonard Cohen, and Skip Spence's Oar.

Pitchfork had posted the newest Record Club video earlier today, but, sadly, it has already been removed and labeled as a 'Private Video' on Vimeo... I'm not really sure what's going on with that-- perhaps it wasn't meant to be released yet?

Anyway, I managed to see the video while it existed and, personally, I think this is the best Record Club collaboration yet. Okay, well, Feist and Wilco are hard to beat... but the new session featured St. Vincent, Liars, and MPB legends Os Mutantes covering INXS's most gigantically-selling album, Kick. I've always thought INXS was slightly-more-than-borderline cheesy, but this is DEFINITELY the most fun project the record club has tackled-- after the previously avant and singer-songwriter based covers.

I express my admiration for Beck quite regularly, and I freaking love St. Vincent as well. Admittedly, I haven't listened to Liars much at this point, but I do enjoy some Os Mutantes and I'm glad they have gotten back to making music after so many years.

I guess all I can do is look forward to (hopefully) seeing this video become publicly available again-- and seeing the rest of the tracks follow suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment