Friday, February 26, 2010

St. Vincent on We Have Signal

St. Vincent came to Bottletree a while back, and, fortunately for us, We Have Signal: Live From Birmingham made an episode of it. Annie Clark is a different sort of rock artist-- she's very polite, a little spacey, and she's FEMALE. Gasp. I once read a funny interview where she said that she's had lots of guitar shop employees ask her if her purchases were presents for her boyfriend. Personally, she's one of my favorite (or possibly just my favorite) guitarists in indie rock. I love her gnarly, noisy solos and her restrained, jazzy chords in equal measure. Honestly, I don't know HOW she can keep singing while she's playing some of that stuff. Her most recent album, Actor, is one of my favorite indie albums of the past year. The episode is embedded below, as you can see-- I think this show is one of the great cultural endeavors that Birmingham still has going for it:

We Have Signal: St. Vincent from We Have Signal on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment