Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Writing

It's nice; writing. It really is. I wish I could earn somewhat of a living doing this-- I'm trying to find some freelance writing jobs that aren't scams. I think it's unfortunate that there could be more scams out there than there are legitimate opportunities, but that's the world we live in, I suppose. That certainly gives me more incentive to blog; because blogging is quick and easy. Mental blocks get in the way of writing stories or scripts when you try to force them. So when the inspiration for such things isn't there, but I need to throw out some words, I can blog! It's so free-form-- it's liberating!


Another really weird, but exciting, idea that popped into my head is this: Maybe I can find an illustrator to help me turn some stories into graphic novels! I've only discovered in the past few years that graphic novels can be a means of actual expression instead of mere 'nerdsploitation.' Then, Scott Pilgrim taught me that they can be both and succeed in the greatest way. So I could be somewhat serious about this plan-- I've heard that comic book publishers travel to conventions and THAT is where they look at portfolios and such. I've never imagined myself at a comic convention, but if that's what you have to do... well, then, I'm there.

I don't think I know any illustrators that could do the kind of work that I have in mind, but surely I can find someone. I think Watchmen was written and illustrated by separate people. I believe I'll take a second to Wikipedia that...................
Yes! It was! In fact, it was created by three separate people: writer, illustrator, and colorist. I'm not too concerned about any of this potential work being done in color, but the prospect is reassuring. I think it would be great to be able to write and draw my own comics, but the drawing aspect may never come to fruition for me as fully as it already has for some people. Some people I need to find, that is.


In further, mostly-related news, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World finally has an official release date-- August 13th! That is a really long wait. It had better be worth it. It will be worth it-- what am I saying? Edgar Wright hasn't let me down yet. Jason Reitman, the director of Juno and Up in the Air, left a 'tweet' upon seeing a mere 30 minutes of the film that leaves me excited to the Nth FREAKING DEGREE.

So I'll leave you with this promotional photo from the film that itself is filled with mystery and wonder (what part of the story is that?):

3 comments:

  1. that comic-con thing actually sounds like a good idea... if you over go to one call me to come along

    i've got some superheroes that could run circles around superman...

    because that's actually their power, running circles around things.

    i keeps it innovative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm actually pretty serious about that idea. I just need to find an illustrator-- and they have to be GOOD. Those publishers probably don't accept too much of the material that comes their way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just for the record, i'm also serious about going with you if you ever go to one. i haven't written any actual comic type things but it'd be interesting to go & meet some other writers (real ones, not just people who scribble down whatever idiotic stuff comes into their head like i do-- that's my style though, so it's all good. i just wanna meet some people who have a professional mindset because writing professionally would definitely be a tolerable way to live, discounting the treekilling)

    ReplyDelete