These, of course, would be a series of graphic novels-- aka comic books. I'm not really a collector of comics per say. I may read a comic strip from time to time, but my friend also informed that he had read the first volume of this series and that it was a "good read." My interests were peaked; I trust this friend of mine, see?So why not? I checked it out. After I finished, I ordered the rest of the series from Amazon. I'm not sure how to describe it really-- It pulls you in with some slice-o'-life drama, makes you laugh out loud with some witty, post-modern dialogue, hits you with some pop-culture references, and then it surprises you by throwing in bizarre, superhero/ Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon/video game style fight scenes. How can all of this work as a coherent whole? Well, I don't quite understand how it's possible myself, but it is, evidently. The author is named Bryan Lee O'Malley-- he's got a pretty cool website too.
It's going to be a long wait until the 6th and final volume comes out in 2010-- O'Malley says he wants to make it available before the movie comes out. As for the movie... Well, I'm hoping Michael Cera will actually act like Scott Pilgrim and not like... Michael Cera... like he always acts.
No comments:
Post a Comment